July 19, 2009
Check it out y’all, my husband started a blog.
He actually started it over a year ago and then abandoned it after one entry. He’s up and at it again though and could totally use your comments to keep him at it.
Go, enjoy, comment and let him (and me) know what you think!
May 28, 2009
This is me with nothing else to blog about, so here, have some links.
50 People, One Question – I thought it was pretty cool.
Misha Lulu – Only the cutest kids clothes on the planet.
Subversive Cross Stitch – I’ve shared this one before, but it deserves to be shared again. Patterns for those under the age of 50.
Cuddly Toys Of Death – Need I say more?
100 Ways To Kill A Peep – So awesome.
Water-Logged – Ouch! Seriously??
Snacks & Shit – Hahaha, I always knew rap music was LAME.
And there are your happy links for the day. Now go forth and be merry or something.
March 30, 2009
I seem to have some problems with blogging consistency lately. How kind of you to say that you haven’t noticed, but really, its been an issue. It’s not that I don’t want to blog because I do. It’s not because I’m that busy because while I have been pretty active lately I always find time for the internet. I think my problem is that I want each blog post to be wrapped up in a pretty little bow with a subject, a beginning and a conclusion.
I am beginning to realize that you know what, this is a personal blog, not an essay competition and that really, I can fuck the format and do whatever the hell I want. That’s right. Whatever I want.
So I’m going to try something new and just write whatever the hell is on my mind at any given moment in the day and if that makes up an entry that is all over the board, well then, so be it.
For example: lately I’ve been finding myself really irritated by both Dove and Axe campaigns. I love Dove’s pro-woman campaign and I tend to pick up a lot of their products with that in mind. I have an extreme hatred for the Axe commercials that make women look like they can’t control themselves if a man smells good. Ridiculous. So imagine my annoyance when I realized that Dove and Axe are owned by the same company, Unilever. UGH. I think I’m done buying Dove products. I need to find out what other labels this company runs, too. I know they’re all out to make money, but to have such wildly contradicting messages really burns me. Especially when one is so empowering and awesome that is then totally negated by the one that makes women look like sex-crazed idiots.
Have I told you that Ana crawls now? She started crawling about eight weeks ago and now she’s standing up against furniture and taking baby steps along it. My goodness, she’s going to be walking by nine months. I am in T-R-O-U-B-L-E. My parents just spent the better part of last week with her and they kept repeating that over and over. She’s going to be a handful. She’s going to be a mover. She’s going to keep you on your toes. Oh yes, I know. I already know. She’s damn cute, though.
I have less than two weeks to go until I’m back to the dentist to have my other two wisdom teeth out and the stress is starting up again. This time though, I’m not as worried about the procedure (although I know that it will involve major suckage), but the aftermath. I hated not being able to eat. I hated wincing every time I swallowed and I hated the godawful pain every time I tried to take a sip of water. I’m such a baby. Can’t I just keep these two wisdom teeth? Really?
Do you know how anxious I am for summer to come? I just want it here. I want heat and sunshine and long days full of walks and playing at the park and taking day trips and camping. I’m so tired of this rain and snow and cold and wind and grey. It’s making me feel really blegh these days.
I think the universe is conspiring against me going to the gym tonight. I told myself that I was going to go before dinner. My husband and I were working on laundry and I started to get dressed to go about twenty minutes ago. Except that both of my pairs of workout pants are now in the dryer. By the time they’re done, it’s dinner time. My gym has crappy hours and closes at nine so I can’t go too late, either. Hmmm. To hell with it, my pants will be dry in an hour and I can just eat a really late dinner, I guess. I have to go to the gym.
I didn’t go to the gym. I’m such a slacker.
Oh! And dudes! It’s totally my four year blog anniversary today. Woot woot, go me, blogging for four years. I somehow never really thought I’d stick with it for this long. My posts may be few and far between (which I’m working to remedy), but I’m still here and still trucking. I thought I’d take this opportunity to snag a little survey from Cecily Uppercase Woman just to see what kind of responses I get. Please do take the time to answer a few questions even if you don’t usually comment! Feel free to use my email instead of leaving a public comment if you feel more comfortable with that. My email is courtney(dot)slavin(at)gmail(dot)com. Have at ‘er.
1. What do we have in common?
2. What DON’T we have in common?
3. How did you find my blog?
4. What do you enjoy about this blog, if anything?
5. Do you comment?
6. What do you wish I’d shut up about?
7. What do you wish I’d talk more about?
8. Where are you from?
9. What one question would you like me to answer? Be creative.
10. Do you have a blog? If so, plug it here!
Thanks and goodnight!
February 3, 2009
I swear to Hades, people, my brain is fried. Lucky for you, not so fried that I can’t be a trendy follower and post up some memes for ya. The 25 things one is on my Facebook as well so likely you’ve all already seen it, but whatevs. Read it again.
First. 25 Things About Me. ‘Cause 100 Things wasn’t enough.
(1) I love cupcakes. I think that they’re beautiful and tasty and fun and I love them.
(2) I put $70 onto an online poker site and was actually able to play with the same money for a year and a half before I ran out. I’m not that great at poker, but I’m not always terrible.
(3) I’m going to Mexico in April! Tickets were purchased yesterday and I’m ridiculously excited. Yay for my friends getting married in the Mayan Riviera!
(4) I used to read obsessively. Now, because I’m way too much of an internet geek, I read far less. It bothers me. In fact, once I finish this note, I’m shutting the computer for a bit and reading a book. So there.
(5) I get really attached to people and have a very hard time letting go. It’s why I love sites like Facebook where I can find people from my past.
(6) I’m not religious. At all. Yet somehow, I manage to have a lot of very religious friends. Not just religion-lite, but the real deal. Sometimes it makes me a little uncomfortable because I used to be very religious, too.
(7) I dressed like a tramp whenever I went to church when I was younger. It wasn’t intentional. Well, I wanted to look HOT, but not so much like a hooker.
(8) I haven’t seen a lot of movies that supposedly EVERYBODY has seen. Pulp Fiction was one of those until a few years ago when I watched it and didn’t like it. Yup, that’s right. I didn’t like Pulp Fiction.
(9) I am completely and totally obsessed with Lost. I love all the mysteries, the twists… I’m madly in love with Desmond. I watched the first four seasons in a period of about two months and now I wait eagerly for Wednesday’s when I have Lost parties with an awesome similarly obsessed friend.
(10) I find it weird when people tell me that I’m strong because I don’t think that I am. At all. I can never come up with anything that I’ve done that would give them reason to think that I’m strong.
(11) I don’t cry in front of my friends. I get really weird about it. I called my best friend in tears last night and I think I shocked the hell out of her. I think she was afraid that someone had died. (No one had.)
(12) I function mostly fine on very little sleep. Eventually though, I get really giddy. Then I get really emotional and will cry in frustration.
(13) I overuse the word really.
(14) Next on my list of places I’d like to travel is Greece. I’m fascinated with Greece and I cannot wait to set foot there.
(15) My favorite movie is The Princess Bride and I can quote extensively from it. And will. At random times.
(16) If I ever manage to lose the 50 lbs that I want to drop, I’m going to have professional semi-nude pictures taken. No, I won’t put them on Facebook or the blog or any other public site.
(17) I love reading and studying about body image in women. Eating disorders and general self-esteem issues are really interesting. My own opinion of my own body is lousy.
(18) I have so many songs on my iTunes that I can’t name every one as it comes up on my shuffle. Like right now, some song is playing and I really like it, but I have no idea who does it or what album it’s off it. I’m also too lazy to get up and check because my iPod is on its dock and not playing off the computer.
(19) I love Apple. I would probably buy an Apple product JUST because it’s Apple and not because I need it. I love them that much. I won’t pressure PC people to change, though. I’m not one of THOSE crazy Mac fans. (But I will say that once you go Mac, you’ll never go back. Hee.)
(20) I beat Guitar Hero on the easy level and I’m too intimidated by that damn blue button to try to do it on medium.
(21) I read a book called Youth In Revolt over ten years ago and it remains in my list of top favorite books. I just found out that it’s going to be made into a movie soon which has me both a bit excited and bit nervous. I always get nervous about favorite books being made into movies.
(22) My favorite author is Jennifer Crusie. I got to meet her (on a few different occasions, actually) and I was just as nervous as if I was meeting a bona fide rock star. She’s fantastic. I’d still be nervous around her, though. I can’t help it. She’s like, my idol. Her books are so well-written!
(23) I used to buy a lot of movies and then I would never watch them. I still have movies in their shrink wrap. New house rule: No buying movies unless they’re Disney classics and/or for the kid. We NEVER watch movies at home.
(24) I really don’t like football and I’m really annoyed that the Super Bowl is on right now so everybody is busy with Super Bowl stuff. BLEGH.
(25) I don’t like coffee. Or cider. Or tea. Or any hot drink excepting hot chocolate.
This one is courtesy of Odette and looks like fun so here goes. I’m supposed to take the fourth picture from the fourth album in my pictures folder and post it up for y’all to see. It’ll be an old one because all my pictures are sorted by date, but here goes. Actually, heh, turns out it’s not that old.
That’s my cat trying to fit into a box that’s far too small for her. I was still pregnant and trying to put away baby clothes.
Last, but not least, comes this bookish meme from Toni. I’m supposed to grab the book nearest to me (When Christ And His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman) and go to page 56. Then type the fifth line and the next two to five lines that follow.
There were many men, though, drawn by her brazen earthiness, reassured by her easygoing approachability. And for the others, there was Sybil; tall and slender, with small wrists and feet, high breasts and unblemished skin, so prideful and poised that a man could easily indulge in fantasy, could pretend he was bedding a lady.
Heh. Of course, that particular section would be about a prostitute.
No tags ’cause that’s not how I roll, but feel free to take part if you’d like. Let me know if you do.
January 5, 2009
I was tagged a while ago by the ever-so-awesome Nathan of PhilosYphia to do a meme and, uhm, I’m a slacker and never got around to it. Until now! Because better late than never, yeah?
So, without further ado, seven things about yours truly that maybe perhaps you didn’t already know.
(1) I’m really really vain. If I leave the house and I feel like I look anything less than okay, I’m constantly picking and rearranging and hiding myself. In fact, whenever I sit down, I instinctively grab and hold a pillow against my stomach so my fat isn’t visible.
(2) I am a completely miserable sick person. I catch a cold and I whine whine whine. Really, I’m miserable. I’ve been sick for the last two days and I’m lucky that my husband hasn’t killed me dead.
(3) I am very sentimental and I hang onto just about everything. The intention is to scrapbook it later, but I haven’t actually completed a scrapbook in years. Which means I just have boxes of ticket stubs, flyers, photos, and other miscellaneous junk that I can’t bear to throw away.
(4) I am constantly waging war with my hair. It’s too frizzy, too dry, too coarse, too anything but perfect. So I cut it all off. New year, new cut, yeah? Now it’s too short. Sigh. I’ll never win.
(5) I have over a dozen books on writing. Hasn’t gotten a finished manuscript out of me yet…
(6) I would really like to take up knitting. I, however, lack the space for yarn. Plus, I have a bad habit of picking up hobbies (like scrapbooking), getting all the supplies for said hobby and then… abandoning hobby. I always come back to it, but there’s sometimes years in between.
(7) I have always wished that I didn’t have quite such a.. hmm… wholesome appearance. I said once that I wanted to try to look more punk. The reception was such, “Courtney? Punk? She could have spikes on a collar and she’d still look CUTE.”
I’m not tagging anyone ’cause that’s how I roll, but let me know in the comments if you decided to play along.
December 29, 2008
My interview. Questions by Miss Erin of La Caotica fame.
What is one aspect of your personality that you would change if you could?
I hate how unbearably shy I am. The fear of new people and things and places makes me incredibly anxious and I just freeze up. Then I kick myself for it later.
What is one of the things your parents did that you would never do to your child?
I won’t be as strict. My parents have lightened up soooo much, but when I was younger I was on a really tight leash. It made me act out as soon as I was able. I want my daughter to have a healthy amount of freedom.
What makes the holidays special for you?
My daughter. Easy answer this year! She may not have understood anything that we showed her or did with her this year, but it was so awesome just having her to share the experiences with.
What is one thing that instantly makes you happy, no matter what?
Well, I was going to say Ana, but since I used her as my answer on the previous question, I’ll go with something else. Back rubs. Seriously. I cannot stay mad or upset if someone is massaging my back. It makes me melt.
If you were stranded on an island, how long do you think it would take you to build a functioning boat?
Heh. At least a month. I’d whimper and act sad and pathetic before I pulled my shit together enough to begin constructing anything useful!
Bored and looking for ways to pass your day? Care to play along?
1. Leave me a comment saying, “Interview me.”
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.
December 28, 2008
Because we all can’t wait to be free of Bush.
October 24, 2008
I promise I have a real post in the works. In the meantime, enjoy this.
October 4, 2008
Is it dumb to want to start over on another blog where nobody knows my name… but to still invite almost everybody over there? Huh.
Is it dumb to move from my own domain with all its freedom (and downfalls like being down and inaccessible all day yesterday) to a free, but limited, wordpress.com account? Huh.
I’m just thinking that my name, first and last, is smeared all over this website and anybody who searches me will come up with that and while I don’t want to lose any of my awesome blog friends… it would be nice to have a smidge of anonymity again.
Maybe I’m just being weird.
August 6, 2008
Every single time I try to update this sucker, I blow up the damn blog. If you swing by and see the site acting up or acting unusual, well, I probably did it again.
In the meantime, hold your horses while I try to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.
*So I followed all the steps and uhm, I don’t think I’m updated, but I don’t think I’m broken either. Interesting. Oh well. I tried.